[CT Birds] Scoter flock off Stratford Point

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Mar 2 18:16:36 EST 2010

Twan Leenders wrote:

Large flocks of scoters were gathering off Stratford Point this morning and
 the off-shore scoter flock that was notably missing for much of this
winter has  just returned with a vengeance. Although an actual count is
impossible at the  moment because of the glare, based on the number of birds seen as
they were  flying in, there must be at least 6,000 birds there at the moment.

A month or so ago I noted, on a trip to the RI shore, that  there  was a
tremendous raft of presumed scoters off Weekapaug, east of the  breachway.  I
estimated it to be at least several  thousand.    Perhaps some will remember
the post.  I got a  few emails confirming that a large group of scoters was
in the area from the RI  list.  I went to RI today, and checked that area
carefully.  Aside  from a few loons and grebes there were no birds visible
offshore.  I did  not see a single scoter.  As recently as 2/20, on the NHBC
Sachuest Pt  trip, there were good numbers of scoters of all 3 species.  This
leads me  to wonder if the birds Twan saw today are, in part at least, the
same ones I  saw.  The number he quotes is certainly in line with my
estimate.

Don Morgan
Coventry