[CT Birds] Shelton Ravens

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 4 17:04:56 EST 2010

3/4, Shelton Lakes Open Space, Shelton @ 3:00p-

(3) Common Ravens flying over the powerline cut

They were swirling a bit, a few calls, and lots of interaction.  A Turkey Vulture also swooped through.

This powerline cut, and whole open space, is a great spot for breeding warblers and songbirds. There are decent to good populations of Pine, Yellow, Prairie, Blue-winged warblers, and I think Black and White maybe?.  Also Indigo buntings, Wood thrushes, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, Eastern Towhees, Catbirds, Yellowthroats, Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Scarlet Tanagers, and Baltimore Orioles.  Not all abundant, but all present.

Thanks to Chris Nevins, I found this place and realized it is a very good migration, and summer birding spot... through out.  I saw breeding Snapping turtles there once too.

Sorry... Spring is on my mind. =)

Brian Webster

Stratford, CT

b.webster at hotmail.com