[CT Birds] Towhee x 3

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 6 06:54:54 EST 2010

3/6, Stratford yard/woods @ (6:35a)-

(3) Eastern Towhees scratching around the wood edges behind my dumpsters in the condos.

I pulled in after getting smokes and brew, and heard the complete Towhee song!  For the lasdt week or so (posted about it a whlie ago) I've been hearing the 'EAST-ern' .... or  'DRINK-your' parts, but until this morning I didn't get the whole phrase...  'EAST-ern, tow-HEEHEEEEEEEE'....   or   'DRINK-your-TEEEAAAA'.

Two of the Towhees were male, one female.  I wonder if its the breeding pair, or one of them or offspring, I watched last summer.  Do they always pick such impossible and impassible sections of woods??  These did last year.  It was in a crotch of a tree, filled with hangy moss and leaves and sticks, inside a thorn bush, inside a thicket, inside the woods.  Great real-estate!

Brian Webster

Stratford, CT

B.webster at hotmail.com