[CT Birds] Listening

Julie Keefer julie.keefer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 10:01:19 EST 2010

I totally agree that learning the skill greatly expands your birding
horizons and it definitely makes a good birder better.  My dad has over 1300
birds on his life list and is a very good birder but his birding by ear
skills are horrible! :)  He just doesn't have the ear for it and I think he
is proud of me for learning it since he was the one who taught me to bird
and got me interested when I was younger.  I think he is a bit jealous too
when we go birding together and I rattle off what we are hearing!  I have a
long way to go though before I've seen as many birds as he has!

On another note, my brother's daughter loves birds so I sent her a CD for
her 2nd birthday last year and now even she can identify about 10 of the
common birds they have in their yard by sound!  It amazes me someone so
young can identify birds as well as she can.  My brother never really got
into birding like I have but now he is becoming much more interested in it
as he birds with his daughter.

I decided to learn to bird by ear several years ago because it always
frustrated me to hear a bird singing and never be able to find it to
identify it.  I bought some CDs and listened to them over and over.  I was
amazed at how many birds I was missing just in my own backyard!!  The
Ovenbird was the first lifer I identified by sound.  I had no idea we had
Ovenbirds breeding in the woods around our house (this was in Raleigh, NC).
I think I must have always mistaken them for Carolina Wrens because I wasn't
listening carefully enough.  I even discovered we had Yellow-billed Cuckoos
in those woods though I never saw one in the yard (though I saw plenty
nearby at the lake).  It was amazing and I still look forward to spring and
listening for the birds to arrive!

Anyway, it is a great skill to try to learn and simply listening in your
backyard is a great way to start!

Roy, my guess is that 3-noted song you heard may have been a titmouse.  They
continue to amaze me with the variety of songs they have!  Not sure what was
making that trill!  Pine Siskins have a rising trill and Juncos trill but I
would not describe it as rising.  And I doubt there are any warblers around
yet!  Good luck with your mystery.  It is one of the things that makes
birding so much fun!!

Julie Keefer
Lyme