[CT Birds] Southport Survey # 220

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sat Mar 6 13:59:16 EST 2010

Southport Survey # 220
Upon arrival at Sunken Island the larger rocks were exposed with a
lounging Harbor Seal. The waterwas calm and the sky clear. Off shore
Long-tailed Ducks were scattered in groups of 10 to 20 all the way
into Westport. The Scaup were fly-bys to the east in groups of 50 to
100’s. There were only 2 Common Loons, but Horned Grebes were in
little clusters of 3-5 birds. Common Loons have returned but only one
Red-throated off shore The others were in Southport Harbor. There was
also a fair number of Horned Grebes about.

The golf course ponds and Southport Harbor were again open and I
expect them to be such from now on. The Killdeer were on the mud
flats inside the harbor, clearly newly arrived migrants. At Southport
Beach the wigeon were on the east side in the rocks and the 2
Bonaparte’s Gulls were on the flats at the end of the creek.

For the next mont I expect the ducks and Geese that got pushed to the
coast for the winter to start scattering, and an increase in the
migrant ducks such as wigeon and teal. It is Duck Season.

Dennis Varza

DATE	2/13	2/18	2/28	3/6
Tide	High	Low 	High	Falling
Time	8:10	7:15	7:15	7;15