[CT Birds] Simsbury woodcocks

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 6 20:45:20 EST 2010

>From Jamie Meyers:
West Simsbury, Tuller Farm recreation area off Old Farms Rd. - 2, maybe 3 AMERICAN WOODCOCKS - displaying at dusk over the soccer fields and adjacent open area.

The remarkable display of this species is one thing I go out of my way to try and enjoy many times during the spring, early and often.  I tried last night in a couple of usual spots in Canton but no luck.  It was warmer and clearer tonight.  March 6th is one of my earlier records for around here but it seems pretty much right on time.

I spent a couple hours in the northwest hills this morning, where there is still a lot of snow at higher elevations, such as in Norfolk.  Not a lot that merits mention here but it was nice being out.

BTW, to the poster who asked about Great Pond, I have not been in there lately, but if the Pond is like most similar watering holes in northern CT, it is only open a little bit at best right now.  I have never seen it gated during the day but I imagine that with the heavy snow now melting the road is likely muddy if it is open.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT