[CT Birds] Spring Birds Today (3/6)/Hummingbird in Noank

James Restivo jbird7480 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 6 21:57:43 EST 2010

Hello all,

This morning in Mystic I witnessed a pair of Red-shouldered Hawks mating in my mom's backyard. Shortly after they mated, I saw one of the pair bringing a stick to a presumed nesting site.

While narrating three eagle boat tours for RiverQuest out of Haddam, I noticed several Double-crested Cormorants. None were on this part of the Conn. River last week.

In East Haddam, across from Eagle Landing State Park, a pair of Red-shouldered Hawks are building a nest. We finally saw the pair just south of East Haddam airport on the third trip of the day.

Also a third hand report from my grandmother via my mom, there was a HUMMINGBIRD in Noank. I'll ask her to keep an eye out to see if it sticks around and see if someone can get a positive ID. Right now I have no reason to believe it's anything but a Ruby-throated except the fact that it's really really early.

Good birding!

James Restivo

Somerville, MA