[CT Birds] Raccoons (Spring)

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 7 08:27:32 EST 2010

It sure is.

Last night I hiked my small woods to a close Woodcock displaying/breeding site (no luck last night), and before I knew it, it was dark.

Before I sat down to wait for the (no)show, I noticed FRESH coyote scat (like often, on a fallen tree... weird) filled with mini bones and hair.

Soon, I heard footsteps behind me as the light faded... wheeww... just the 3 Toms.  They scared the everything out of me whne they decided to fly up into the hickories for the night.

Next to pass by was a small buck with 1 antler (which I later found... just a 2 year old).

And last, but certainly not least, were two coyotes.  My flashlight shined at them, and their eyes glowed right back at me. Turning off the light, I had no clue where they are.  In my woods, turkeys are never quiet (including footsteps) unless in the tree.... deer always move a bit, and after I stay still, they eventually go about their business and leave.  But I was in the den!!

I heard a few 'huffs and puffs', and a bit of ground pounding... as if the canine lifted up onto it's hind legs and slammed the front two down.  Then.... silence.  Not a movement.  So I just continued on my path home.

I get home and do a google....  prime Coyote breeding season.  Ooops!

Also, while waiting in the woods/edge/cut.... I had a Winter Wren, 4 GC Kinglets, and a flock of passerines (mostly WTSP, SOSP and ATSP) numbering over 100 moving through the thickets.

Interesting night....  just about everything besides the Woodcocks!!

Brian Webster

Stratford, CT

b.webster at hotmail.com

http://thebirdmojo.blogspot.com/