[CT Birds] Goldfinches

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 8 09:02:06 EST 2010

3/8, Stratford yard @ 8:45a-

(13) Goldfinches

(2) House Finches (absent since Jan.!)

Since the recent discussion of Goldfinches, I figured I'd add.  I had a small group of 3-5 all winter, slowing growing as Spring approaches.  Out there now is about 10.

As far as my observations regarding their preference for a tube or sock, I certainly say tube.  I have a double shedard's hook with 12 station finch tube on one, and a thistle sock (still the Christmas stocking....), and they alwasy come in from the tree tops to the tube (of hook itself), then when a squabble ensues, they realize the sock is there.

However,this morning, it is almost equal.  Right now as I type, 4 on the sock, 6 on the tube.  One house on the hook waiting patiently.

While we are on the subject, does anyone shell out the cash for Kaytee's Finch Blend (yellow bag??)??  It's a little more than a bag of thistle (going by S&S here), but you also get more.  However, the Tree Sparrows and Juncos LOVE it.  Enough to hang on the sock and go to the suction-cup window feeder for it.  Unfortunately, the house sparrows love it too.

(I wish I had the intenstinal fortitiude to take out my pellet gun and solve the HOSP problem I have...  I have over 30 now....  wait for the young ones!!  And they all raise their babies on my food.  Jerks.  At least I don't get starlings too often.  Knock, knock, knock....)

Brian Webster

Stratford, CT

b.webster at hotmail.com