[CT Birds] Chipmunks

Tammy Eustis teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Mon Mar 8 15:27:57 EST 2010

I would guess that chipmunks do go through population cycles, just like squirrels. According to the Vermont Wildlife Fact Sheet, this is due to the abundance (or lack) of nuts and seeds in the fall. Considering the bumper-crop of nuts in our yard, this proves to be an "on" year. (Between the 'munks and the squirrels, our resident Coopers and red-shouldered hawks should have some good eats.)
And I wouldn't consider this question off-topic, either, since chipmunks do raid bird nests.
~ Tammy Eustis, Chester