[CT Birds] woodcock

Carol Ansel carolansel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 12:28:11 EST 2010

On my way home from work heard 2, maybe 3? peenting woodcock.  Too
dark for these eyes to see, but if I hear the whistling noises, does
that means they're in flight, or can they make other (non-peenting)
sounds on the ground as well?  Didn't think I saw anything in the
sky...  this was in one of the fields right off of North Main St. in
Stonington.

Also had a great walk around CAS's Trail Wood in Hampton on Sunday.
Saw 2 pileateds, 4 wood duck, one great blue heron - all fly-by or fly-
overs.  What a fabulous piece of property! The size of the trees the
beaver are chewing down is awe-inspiring. Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/20751010@N08/sets/72157623451906143/
   (Unfortunately, no bird pix - they were too fast or far away for me
- but some interesting shots of beaver workings).

Carol Ansel
Mystic