[CT Birds] Peck's Mill Pond and River Access, Stratford

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 10 08:23:03 EST 2010

3/10, Peck's Mill Pond and Housatonic River Access (quick scan for about 30 minutes around 7:20a)-

(16) Mallards

(8) Black Ducks

(3) Wood Ducks (2m, 1f,)....  (Sorry, Tina!  I guess they hid from you in Jan!!)

(2) Brown Creepers

(1) YB Sapsucker**

(1) 2nd yr Bald Eagle (River access... actually over Milford soil)

(25+) Red-winged Blackbirds... full displays and song.

Singing there today were one Creeper, Song Sparrow, Goldfinch, Robin, and the RW Blackbirds.  Notice (other than the Woodies) are all even numbers....  all were paired.  I guess the female Pintail from a week or so ago got pushed out!

**Is this an early migrant??  Or a winter-er that I haven't noticed?  I've seen them nest and active on the River Rd. in Kent in July, but I'm not too familiar with how many actully stay for the winter.**

Brian Webster
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com