[CT Birds] Ring-necked Pheasants

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Wed Mar 10 16:23:45 EST 2010

Hi Folks

Today I had my first Ring-necked calling from the Pine Creek Open
Space in Fairfield.

The Ring-necked Pheasant is a misfit in Connecticut. It is an
introduced species that is found every year, but its status is
problematical. Hundreds are released each year by gun clubs and many
survive until spring. The question is, is the species established
like the Starling or Rock Pigeon, or is its survival due to the
continued replenishment each year?

At Pine Creek in Fairfield and Seaside Park in Bridgeport I'm sure
they are self sustaining populations. But what about the rest of the
state? I would like to get reports of birds to get a handle on their
distribution and would like to hear any judgments  as to wether they
are released birds or not. This is the best time of year to find them
since they have a distinctive call.

Thank You

Dennis Varza