[CT Birds] Ring-necked Pheasants

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Wed Mar 10 19:02:34 EST 2010

--- On Wed, 3/10/10, Greg Hanisek <ghanisek at rep-am.com> wrote:

> By coincidence I heard one calling
> today as well, in farmland in Watertown, in an area where
> they are definitely released. I agree completely with Dennis
> that the 2 sites he mentioned hold reproducing pheasants.
> Another place that did (and probably still does) is the
> Manresa power plant property in Norwalk, but access there
> now is essentially nonexistent. There are probably some
> other places as well...

I heard Ring-necked Pheasant a few years ago at Silver Sands State Park in Milford.  The sound came from the fenced-in landfill area, which seems an unlikely place to be stocked.  The most obviously non-wild ones I've seen were at the Stevenson Dam in Monroe, feeding on the edge of the parking lot next to the power station, and on down the slope to the river.  They were about as clueless as the Northern Bobwhite I once had in the parking lot of the Kellog Center at Osbornedale State Park in Derby.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT