[CT Birds] Killdeer, etc.

Julie Keefer julie.keefer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 19:11:18 EST 2010

I have been hearing Killdeer in Lyme as well and was listening to some
tonight as I listened for the woodcock again.  I have heard the woodcock the
last 3 nights now!  Tonight there were 2 others peenting as well.  The
original bird was not amused by this and flew over where I could hear one
and started a scolding sort of noise as he flew around then he went back to
his normal route and back to the ground.  They are such neat birds!

I have heard what I am pretty sure is a Winter Wren singing outside my
bathroom window the last 2 mornings, he starts singing right about 5:45am
when it is just starting to get light and the cardinals are also starting to
chip.  At first I had no idea what it was, then I  realized it reminded me
of a House Wren but didn't sound right.  That was what made me think Winter
Wren and sure enough the recordings I have listened to are a good match!

The Red-winged Blackbirds are also back singing around the pond and invading
my feeders.  I have also seen some grackles.  The White-throated Sparrows
are singing too and I imagine they will be leaving here soon.

I love spring!  Well, other than the first of the year tick I also found
yesterday!  But all these things are signs of warmer weather finally!

Julie Keefer
Lyme