[CT Birds] Stratford maybe 10K+ gulls

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 20:10:57 EST 2010

Very cool Frank. Fantastic numbers. I know Dennis has been keeping a
close eye on this, but according to my records last year this event
started around March 10 and peaked in the second half of the month,
lasting into early April. I wonder if this will keep going for a few
more weeks.

As with past years, Black-headed Gulls tend to be found more often
toward the beginning of the Boney migration, with Little Gulls peaking
a bit later on (most of my LIGU sightings have been 3/24 through 4/5).
This year that pattern is repeating with the Black-headeds...so far.

It's interesting to note the birds' movements. One day a particular
area may be covered with gulls, and the next day they may be a couple
towns up or down the coast. Sometimes densely concentrated, other
times spread thinly over a large stretch of coastline.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT