[CT Birds] Ring-necked Pheasants

Chasbarnard at aol.com Chasbarnard at aol.com
Wed Mar 10 20:32:12 EST 2010

I have not seen a brood of young pheasants following a hen around in many
years. They once bred very successfully on many small farms scattered around
the  western portion of Fairfield. They could survive the winters well
enough to  maintain a presence (corn stubble left in the fields was a big help
to the  birds,)  but they could not survive the loss of habitat as housing
development replaced the old farmlands.
In recent years I have looked for a brood at Pine Creek, since the
roosters still do crow there, but I have been unable to spot a brood  or even a
lone hen pheasant.  There have been plenty of turkeys and an  occasional male
pheasant - but that has been it. I agree that  a possibility still exists
that they breed there, but it would be nice to  spot a brood with a hen as
confirmation of breeding.
Charlie Barnard
Stratford (formerly 48 years in  Fairfield)