[CT Birds] Here is a link to the photo of the dark buteo

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Thu Mar 11 07:19:12 EST 2010

The consensus seems to be a dark or rufus morph Red-tailed Hawk, which I think would mean it's a bird of western origin.  This is what I was thinking it was, but I was being conservative in the ID because that is a pretty rare bird for Connecticut, much rarer than would be a dark Rough-leg, but Rough-leg can be ruled out by the tail pattern.  Not a bad bird to find on my birthday!  Thanks to everyone who commented.