[CT Birds] Open water

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Mar 11 17:01:53 EST 2010

Most of the ice went out on Coventry Lake today - south end and  east cove
are still covered.    3 Common Mergs in to  celebrate.  2 C Geese in the
open fringe yesterday, but didn't see them  today.
Bolton Lake has been mostly clear for about a  week
The lake at Mansfield Hollow is finally ice free except for a  few coves
and some small ice flows.  It took its time clearing.  I  made a video today
of our 2 adult 'Bald Eagles on 1 of the flows, sharing a very  large fish.
The duck marsh in Natchaug State forest is still more than half  covered,
but quite a few ducks have moved in, including 20 Wood Ducks, 13  Ring-necked
Ducks, 11 Black Ducks, 5 Mallards, 4 Common Mergansers and 2 C.  Geese.
The marsh at Sta 43 has been free of ice for more than a  week.
Eagleville Lake in Mansfield is ice free.
Hanover Pond and Bishops Pond in Meriden have been ice free  since at least
Don Morgan