[CT Birds] Ring-necked Pheasants

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Thu Mar 11 17:10:23 EST 2010

The points made about few if any sightings of young are good ones. From
personal experience I'm convinced pheasants are reproducing at the old
landfill at Seaside Park in Bridgeport, based on sightings over many years,
including this year. I have seen males and females. I haven't seen a brood,
but there's a very good reason for that. I don't bird the park at the time
of year when young would be present. That's probably the case for a few
similar sites that may hold breeding pheasants. At Seaside, a toll booth
opens at some point for beach access, and the landfill is accessed the same
way. Also, I've seen pheasants there rather casually by birding surrounding
habitats. Actually walking up onto the landfill involves bad footing through
thick vegetation. I once was on the "mainland" and watched a pheasant fly
off the landfill, across the channel and into a yard near Captain's Cove.
Anyway, if you go to Seaside often enough you'll eventually see a pheasant
without really trying.

I've also seen hen pheasants in spots where I would think the species exists
mainly via stocking. I don't know how they get there. I've seen a
road-killed hen on I-84 within the Waterbury city limits.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury