[CT Birds] Stratford gull show & weekend forecast

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 20:30:27 EST 2010

I made it down to Short Beach around 2:40pm today, not long after low
tide. The raw east winds probably contributed to the tide not being
very low. The portions of the sandbars that were exposed near the
mouth of the Housatonic River, particularly on the Stratford side,
were covered in about 4,000 gulls. Well in the distance offshore,
about 2,000 more were likely feeding on plankton. Unfortunately the
birds were too far for close scrutiny, but obvious species such as
white-winged gulls could still be IDed. Highlights were 2 ICELAND
GULLS (first-cycles) and a GLAUCOUS GULL (first-cycle...not the Long
Beach bird). As the tide came in, more birds flew offshore.

This gull event is spectacular and, at the risk of getting a bit too
excited, any gull species that has ever occurred in our region is
possible right now.

A ride by Long Beach revealed only about 20 gulls, not including the
usual Glaucous.

Milford Point itself held very few gulls around 4:30pm. Marsh
waterfowl included 79 GREEN-WINGED TEAL and 4 CANVASBACKS.

Weekend weather:
The forecast I just saw is calling for steady ENE winds of 15-25mph
from tomorrow through at least Sunday. With alcids presumably moving
right now, this may be a good time to watch LI Sound.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT