[CT Birds] Coastal Stratford

Chasbarnard at aol.com Chasbarnard at aol.com
Fri Mar 12 14:14:55 EST 2010

I spent about 45 minutes at the Stratford Seawall this morning before
moving Eastward to Stratford Point.
During the time at the seawall, I counted almost 900 gulls flying by from
West to East. The large majority (probably 80%) were Ring-billed Gulls and
the  remainder were Herring Gulls. I didn't spot a white-winged gull in the
group.  Many more gulls were passing by well offshore and I am sure that I
missed seeing  a large number due to the poor visibility in the misty rain
which was coming  down.  Small groups of between 10 and 75 Greater Scaup were
also flying by  to the East the whole time I was at the seawall.  A male
Northern Harrier  was flying to the Northeast over the water.
I moved up to Stratford Point (the former gun club) and found a large raft
of Greater Scaup sitting in the chop several hundred yards offshore. A
passing lobster boat (the "Raging Bull" from Scarborough,Maine) pushed the
birds into the air for a moment and I was able to get a rough count and
estimated that there were at least 2000 Greater Scaup in that raft. They were
still coming in to the raft in small groups when I left at about 11:30 AM.
Also present were 20 Brant, 75 Long-tailed Ducks, a lone Surf Scoter, a
Red-throated Loon and 1 Bonaparte's Gull.  No luck with spotting any  rarities.
Charlie Barnard Jr.