[CT Birds] More on Ring-necked Pheasants

Bill Asteriades Asterbunch at cox.net
Fri Mar 12 18:16:02 EST 2010

Some more info on Ring-necked Pheasants.  I spoke with my barber today who
has been hunting Pheasant for 40+ years in CT.  When asked if he has seen
any Pheasant chicks in CT, he stated "all the time".  One area mentioned was
in South Windsor where they hunt stocked Pheasants (I believe just south of
Station 43).  He said that he shoots both stocked and native Pheasants in CT
and can mainly tell the difference by the beak.  Typically, the beak is
deformed from debeaking or has a hole in it from blinders since the game
bird farm owners want to protect the Pheasants from pecking at each other.

Sure seems that there are more nonstocked Pheasants than originally thought.

Bill Asteriades