[CT Birds] Pheasants

James Dugan jdugan11 at charter.net
Sat Mar 13 12:16:14 EST 2010

On Turkeys having communal nests:
Bent, in his Life Histories of North American Gallinaceous Birds quotes Audubon stating: "Several hens sometimes associate together, I believe for their mutual safety, deposit their eggs in the same nest, and rear their broods together. I once found three sitting on forty-two eggs. In such cases the common nest is always watched by one of the females, so that no Crow, Raven, or perhaps even Pole-cat, dares approach it."

During 2009 I had Pheasant at:
Watertown, February, 28th - heard (at Greg H's Shrike)
Sharon, Amenia Rd, mid August - 1 male
Kent, Macedonia Brook, October, 6th - 2 male, 1 female
Goshen, North Goshen Rd, October 28th - 1 male

Jim Dugan
New Milford