[CT Birds] Wood Frogs (Don't worry, it's bird related)

jayne.amico at cox.net jayne.amico at cox.net
Sun Mar 14 13:11:36 EDT 2010

Yep just as Steve mentioned last night  it was the night of the frogs,we had a single peeper begin singing at dusk and by midnight the pond was filling with singing wood frogs. The wood frogs are cackling away as I type. When I headed down to the road this morning there was frog pieces everywhere, and grackles helping to clean it up.

It is amazing that despite your best efforts , my husband and I created this pond for frogs, salamanders and birds, the pond in addition to providing a drinking and breeding site also causes them to cross the road and be killed, even though it is uphill and an easy 500 feet away from the road.

Things are happening strangely here.  No woodcocks, peeper first,  then wood frogs.... Usually its woodcock first then wood frogs while the pond is still partially frozen, then peepers... I pray the woodcock are just late arriving here with all the deep snow to the south that had to of impacted them. I have been seeing this wonderful species here for close to 20 years without fail. I truly would be devastated to see another species of bird added to my list of birds I do not see here anymore.

--
Jayne

Jayne Amico
Southington, CT