[CT Birds] Eastern CT (and NY Parasitic Jaeger)

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 19:48:21 EDT 2010

Glenn Williams, Phil Rusch and I birded the New London area this
morning in search of storm-blown birds following the impressive storm.
The 7:30am ferry was actually canceled due to high seas so we
sea-watched from Harkness State Park in Waterford. Here we had nothing
really of note and few birds overall. Highlights included 5 COMMON
EIDER, about a dozen SURF SCOTER, and many Common Loons.

We took the 11:00am ferry from New London to Orient Point. The only
interesting bird in CT was a single LARGE ALCID SPECIES (likely
Razorbill). Otherwise, we had no other alcids, kittiwakes, or gannets
all day. No Bonaparte's Gulls either.

The best bird of the day was in New York, actually from the ferry dock
at Orient Point, an out-of-season PARASITIC JAEGER. A few photos of
that bird are at the link below.

Browsing the listservs, a Dovekie was seen as a flyby at Montauk Pt,
NY today. That's the only seabird report I've seen from the region
today, though more may come in this evening. The weather isn't going
to clear until Tuesday so anything that was knocked in by the storm
could still be kicking around. Checking bodies of water could still
pay off.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT