[CT Birds] Stratford yard Catbird, Towhee, Creeper, etc...

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 15 10:01:40 EDT 2010

3/15, Stratford yard/woods @ 9:30am-

(1) Gray Catbird calling from just inside my woods.  Catbirds stranglehold this/my area for whatever reason.  One day last summer there were over 12 in maybe a football field area of powerling cut.

(2) Eastern Towhees continue at/under feeders and on wood edges

(1) Brown Creeper eating a mixture I make with peanut butter and smear on my feeder-tree

(19) Goldfinches**

**GIANT difference from last year.  I have a photo from mid-March last year with well over 40 Siskins feeding on the ground, because a 12 station tube and 2 socks were covered with 100+ Siskins and Goldies.  As it got colder last year, my finch flock grew (even had a Redpoll) and remained until like April.

This year, on the other hand, regardless of Siskin numbers, I rarely had over 3 Goldies all winter until this month.  As it is getting warmer,more Goldfinches are showing up.  Many with signs of breeding plumage.  One female's wing bars are totally in, and another male has a yellow face and nape.  It is getting nice and song-y out there =)  I had a Pine Warbler the other day and I'm anxiously awaiting the warblers!!!!

Brian Webster
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com
http://thebirdmojo.blogspot.com/