[CT Birds] Migration night

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 16 19:44:20 EDT 2010

Birds often undergo restlessness just before migrating. One audible
manifestation of this is constant calling at dusk before taking flight.
Sometimes this can be at a rather frenetic frequency. Tonight I went running
at dusk and along the route I take I heard many White-throated Sparrows
calling constantly from the woods and fields. It is very likely that these
birds will be heading further north tonight. It was a cool experience that
was further enhanced by the "peenting" of two Woodcocks and the quack of
Wood Frogs finished off by the feeble peeps of Spring Peepers just starting
to come back to life. This past Saturday I climbed Mt Pierce in NH and with
crampons strapped to my feet I experienced 5 feet of snow, temps in the 20s,
and winds gusting to 70mph+. Needless to say I saw few birds. It's amazing
the extremes that can exist simultaneously in New England.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England