[CT Birds] Breeding Tricolored Herons

wgayle1 at alumni.lsu.edu wgayle1 at alumni.lsu.edu
Tue Mar 16 21:30:36 EDT 2010

I spent this afternoon birding Franklin Swamp WMA in North Franklin.  With temperatures in the upper fifties, small vernal pools near the shooting range were full of calling Wood Frogs.  Near the same area just east of the shooting range I spotted 4 TRICOLORED HERON nests.  Two of the nests were definitely active and I suspect the other two are as well.  The herons at the first nest I encountered appeared to be carrying additional nesting material to the nest and the second nest was being incubated by a pair of herons.  In addition I also had about 10 Red-winged Blackbirds, 20 Common Grackles, 5 Black-capped Chickadees, 1 Tufted Titmouse, 1 Red-tailed Hawk, 1 Blue Jay, 1 Barred Owl, 1 Mourning Dove, 1 Red-bellied Woodpecker and 4 Downy Woodpeckers, 1 American Robin.  After spending a few hours at Franklin Swamp I headed over to Bear Hill WMA in Bozrah were I birded only the parking lot for a few minutes.  There were about 15 to 20 White-throated Sparrows, 4 Northern Cardinals, 6 Black-capped Chickadees, 4 American Robins, 2 Mourning Doves, and several American Crows.

Whitney Gayle