[CT Birds] South Windsor Meadows

Robert Mirer D.D.S. robert.m.mirer at snet.net
Wed Mar 17 13:43:16 EDT 2010

Wednesday morning, with Ernie Harris:

Sta 43: Virginia Rail (thank you Sara Z)-very early (Paul D's earliest record for Sta 43 is Apr 18th!). (Sara-we were not sure we heard the Marsh Wren; this is an even more amazing record-a full 2 months earlier than expected at Sta 43).
But we did have, in addition to Sara's reported ducks, a male Pintail, a male Green-winged Teal, and 2 female Hooded Mergs.

Vibert Rd: 6 Green-winged Teal

On the Ct River: 1 DC Cormorant, a few distant Common Mergansers.

Ferry Rd: 1 adult Bald Eagle soaring, but none seen on the nest.
Vesper Sparrow teed up and singing away. It was not a territorial song-no introductory notes. Just a continuous beautiful warble given sotto voce (sounded very finchlike).
Fish Crow

Rob Mirer
South Windsor