[CT Birds] see you in Middletown

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Wed Mar 17 21:02:13 EDT 2010

I stopped by Sikorsky Airport the other day and ran into Mark Szantyr. "What are you up to?" I asked. "Looking for European Golden-Plover," Mark replied. "Me too," I said. "By the way, have you put together our talk on rare birds for the COA annual meeting this Saturday at Middlesex Community College?" I asked with a slight touch of anxiety. "No," came a very wide-eyed response. "Haven't you?" And so was hatched a hastily organized 2 a.m. meeting in an all-night halupki joint in New Britain with free wi-fi access. We quickly pulled down a stunning array of boot-legged images that got us excited about our talk to the point of intoxication (or maybe we fell under the spell of meat and cabbage as only a Pole and Czech can do).

At any rate, we hope we see a lot of you there for all of the interesting programs. We'll try to answer seldom- (maybe never?) asked questions like when is the most likely time to see a Chestnut-collared Longspur in Connecticut, or why should you be suspicious of the most innocent-looking oriole.

Also be sure to check out the photo quiz in the lobby. If we get more than one person brave enough to submit answers, we might invite the winner on stage for some good-natured abuse.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury