[CT Birds] Strange Noise (Brian Kleinman)

snaketat at cox.net snaketat at cox.net
Thu Mar 18 07:27:33 EDT 2010

I agree with Barbara.  What your describing sounds like a Red Fox to me.  Click on the link below to listen to a Red Fox cry/bark.

Brian Kleinman
Riverside Reptiles

I just heard a strange noise as I was walking the dogs, I think it was a
bird but maybe not.  The sky was just starting to get light.  It was a loud
series of screeches, sounded almost like a duck or goose alarm call but a
lot rougher and almost more metallic (if that makes senses).  There was a
series of several short, fast screeches then they slowed down a little and
came further apart and then stopped.  I heard this noise given several times
with maybe 30 seconds to a minute in between.  I have no idea what this
could have been, does anyone else?
I also heard a Wild Turkey gobble in the woods.  Yesterday the Winter Wren
was singing.  Do they breed around here or is he just warming up for his
trip north?
Julie Keefer