[CT Birds] Birding Courses at CT Audubon Coastal Center

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Fri Mar 19 15:19:21 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Here are the list of upcoming bird classes at the Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center at Milford Point. We have a few new offerings, including an advanced birding course that Patrick Dugan and I will be teaching, and a few birding by ear classes. I hope you can join us.   See you there.  Frank Gallo

Birding for Beginners
Thurs., Apri1 1, 7-9 p.m. (classroom),
Sat., April 3, 9-11:30 a.m. (field trip).
This introductory course gives students the basics for identifying birds. During this fun and comprehensive hands-on course, longtime instructor and expert birder Frank Gallo will teach you identification skills, how to choose and use field guides and binoculars, and where to find birds locally. Then we’re off on a field trip to a local birding hot spot. No experience is necessary. Bring the “Peterson Field Guide to Eastern Birds” (field guides will be available for sale at the Coastal Center). Please register before March 30. Fee: $75 CAS Members, $95 Non-Members.

Sorting Out Bird Songs
Tuesday, April 6, 7-9 p.m.
Tune up your ears in time for the migration rush. Bird songs and calls are incredible aids to finding and identifying birds. Learning them opens another dimension to birding, adding layers to your repertoire of identification skills. Instructor Frank Gallo, an avid student of bird song, will introduce participants to the basics of birding by ear, focusing on available sound resources as well as the tips, tricks and even pitfalls to indentifying birds by sound. Fee: $35 CAS Members, $55 Non-members.

Birding 202: (4 evenings & a field trip)
Weds., April 7, 21, 28, May 5, 7:15-9:15 p.m.
Sat., May 1, 8:30-11:30 a.m. (field trip).
Sharpen your identification skills before the spring rush! Come explore bird identification by sight and sound with Frank Gallo in this expanded 202-level series. Four nights allows time for in-depth exploration, and the fourth evening will focus on bird song identification. Learn to identify birds on your own, and gain valuable time in the field with an experienced leader and fellow birders. In addition, learn how to choose and use new field guides and optics and where to find birds in our area. Please register before April 7. Fee: $135 CAS Members, $165 Non-members

Avian Art Show
April 15-May 13 at the Firehouse Gallery,
May 15-June 15 at Coastal Center (winners only).
The Coastal Center has teamed up with Firehouse Gallery of Milford to showcase the wonderful bird art of area artists. Submissions are being accepted for this juried show on April 4 and from April 8-10 at the Firehouse Gallery, located at 81 Naugatuck Avenue. There is $25 entry fee and a two-piece limit. All media accepted. We incourage CT artists to apply.  For more information, contact Firehouse Gallery at 203-306-0016. Proceeds from artwork sales will benefit both organizations. Free admission.

Save the dates...

Birding by Ear II
Sat., May 8, 8:30-11:30 a.m.
Is that an oriole or a tanager singing, a Hermit Thrush calling or a catbird? Come find out, as we delve further into the art of birding by ear. After reviewing the basics, we’ll practice with similar-sounding groups before heading into the field to hone our skills.
Fee: $60 CAS Members, $80 Non-members.

Connecticut Big Day Birding Challenge 2010!
Sun., May 23 (rain date May 24).
Connecticut Audubon Society’s Raven Luna-ticksü(Nick Bonomo, Patrick Dugan, Frank Gallo, Dave Tripp, and Fran Zygmont) will once again attempt to break the Connecticut Big Day birding record of 186 species, to raise money for CAS’s Coastal Center at Milford Point. Our total last year of 177 species (despite a flat tire!) is now the second highest Big Day count for Connecticut. The 190s are now in our sights! We invite you to help us achieve our ambitious goal of raising $10,000 this year. Every dollar you pledge will go directly to support CAS's Coastal Center at Milford Point – truly one of the best birding destinations in the Northeast. We can’t do it without you, and we thank you for your generosity! Pledge forms are available on our web page (http://www.ctaudubon.org/visit/milford.htm ) or contact Frank Gallo at 203-878-7440 ext. 501

Advanced Birding – New!
Thurs., May 20 & 27, 7-9 p.m. (classroom),
Sun., May 30, 8:30-11:30 a.m. (field trip).
Tackle tough identification challenges with instructors Frank Gallo and Patrick Dugan. Intrigued by the subtle differences between Empidonax flycatchers? Confused by Philadelphia and Warbling Vireos? If you want to learn how to identify small sandpipers and terns, or just need to refresh your warbler and sparrow ID skills, then this is the class for you. Our experienced instructors will review difficult groups and guide you through tricky identification challenges. As always, participants will gain valuable time in the field with experienced leaders and fellow birders. For intermediate & advanced students. Please register before May 17.
Fee: $85 CAS Members, $115 Non-members. Meet at the Coastal Center.