[CT Birds] Cooper's available

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Fri Mar 19 22:01:35 EDT 2010

While we're on the subject of reproducing raptors, I saw one of my favorite seasonal sights this morning, a Cooper's Hawk in full nuptial display flight. With the state breeding population of Cooper's high and maybe still on the rise, this is something worth looking for at this time of year.

If you see a soaring Coop, take a few minutes to watch. It may suddenly go into a highly stylized display in which the wings are held stiff and flapped very slowly and deeply with the white undertail coverts fluffed out and flared.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury