[CT Birds] Info regarding Hummingbird arrivals

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sat Mar 20 17:25:48 EDT 2010

The very first reports of Ruby-throated Hummingbird sightings in the spring are best found on the Hummingbird Migration Maps at:
http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

If you look there now you can see that there were sightings yesterday down around the coastal border between South and North Carolinas.  The site also has over ten years of history you can look at using links at the bottom of the page.  There we can see that in 2009 there were two Connecticut reports on April 4, while in 2008 the first was April 11.

These can give you an idea when to put your feeders out and start waiting, but the reality is that those maps only report the leading edge of the migration.  Very few birds arrive that early, and late April or even early May is when you start to have a reasonable chance of seeing them. Personally I usually see my first during the first week of May.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT