[CT Birds] Hawks are Moving

Steve Mayo rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 21 13:42:32 EDT 2010

I haven't seen any "nuptial" displays of Coops yet, but I have been seeing several Sharpies and Cooper's Hawks moving.

However, whenever I've gotten out this weekend, I've seen flight displays of very vocal 'Shoulders.  I've seen 2s, 3s and even groups of 4s.  This comment is more anecdotal than objective (ie, I haven't yet checked SBC data), but it seems that there are quite a few Red-Shouldered Hawks in the Greater New Haven area.  They have always seemed common in SE CT, but I don't recall them being so prevalent year round, in this area.

As for the nocturnal raptors, I had a Barred Owl in the 'hood late on the 19th, and GH Owl in the same area early on the 20th.

Steve Mayo
Bethany