[CT Birds] ground nesting birds

Katz1449 at aol.com Katz1449 at aol.com
Sun Mar 21 19:00:02 EDT 2010

We were hiking at Sessions Woods the other day and there were signs around
requiring people to keep their dogs leashed because of ground nesting
(similar issues on beaches as well, it seems)
I "googled" this issue and have only found information on the different
types of nests , not on why some birds choose to nest on the ground versus
higher up in trees or other high locations.  Evolution would seem to favor
higher nesting species.
Food sources would seem to be ample regardless of being on the ground or in
 a tree or higher location.
I am just curious.
Bev Propen, Orange