[CT Birds] Sandhill Crane in Durham (and one other report)

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun Mar 21 20:35:32 EDT 2010

Passing this along.

 From Michael DiGiorgio:
A Sandhill Crane was spotted off Johnson Lane in Durham at 4:00 PM on Sunday, March 21. The bird was in the distant cornfield beyond the treeline, not  in the cornfield close to the road. To find the cornfield, look for the greenish beige house with green shutters and continue along the road until you reach a dirt tractor road on the left down the middle of the front cornfield. John MIlls walked to the back field and spotted the crane. (It couldn't be seen from the road.) Dinah Wells, Kate Davis, Bill Yule, and Mike DiGiorgio walked to the back field and joined John Mills to watch the crane for about 15 minutes. When we left,  the bird was still there at the bottom border of the cornfield. We all suspect that the bird has been in that particular field for a while people were waiting to spot it in the front field.

 From Tom & Laura Zawislinski:
03/21 Milford CACC; 3 Piping Plovers (beginning of Spit, first of year spotted in Milford).

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT