[CT Birds] Barn Island

Carol Ansel carolansel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 20:52:55 EDT 2010

Walked at Barn Island on Sunday - not much in the way of birds yet,
but did see a greater yellowlegs, bluebirds on the boxes and tree
swallows in the air above the open field. Wonderful wood frog chorus
going on as well.

My FOY osprey today - a pair flying over Poquonnock Cove near Rte 1 in
Center Groton; my mother-in-law reports "her" osprey has returned to
the head of the Mystic River as of yesterday.

Lots of "action" in general among the backyard birds - the red-tail
was circling with a companion on Sunday, goldfinches are getting
aggressive, Carolina wrens are even more verbose, everyone seems to be
singing - life is good!

Carol Ansel
Mystic

Extralimital treat - at a friend's bonfire in Wakefield RI Saturday,
heard the thrumming of an Eastern screech owl in the woods - cool!