[CT Birds] leucistic Herring Gull, Groton

Julie Keefer julie.keefer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 18:37:40 EDT 2010

As I was walking into work this morning, I always watch the Herring Gulls on
a  small patch of grass.  They have started to do the worm dance, which I
think is hysterical to watch.  Well, I was a bit surprised to notice this
morning that one of the gulls was almost completely white.  It was the same
size as the other Herring Gulls and had a bill that matches pictures of a
second winter bird's bill, with a darker spot at the tip instead of the red
spot.  It had a few streaks on the back of its neck but was otherwise white.
It's legs looked to be the same color as the other Herring Gulls.

Julie Keefer