[CT Birds] Stratford Point Northern Gannet

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 24 05:31:19 EDT 2010

3/23 5:00-5:45, Stratford shoreline - I saw 1 NORTHERN GANNET flying off the Lordship Seawall (5:15 pm), as well as an estimated 5000 gulls (herring & ring-billed; no Bonaparte's) resting on the calm waters off Long Beach-Seawall-Short Beach during high tide (foggy, drizzly).  Also many flocks of Brant, and some DC Cormorants, but almost no other waterfowl.
Three Am. Coots still at Birdseye boat ramp.

3/23 Westport, Compo Beach, 12:30 - 400 Ring-billed Gulls on soggy ballfields; nothing unusual.
3/22 Westport, Isle off 39 Soundview - pair of American Oystercatchers.

Frank Mantlik