[CT Birds] Southport Survey # 224

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Wed Mar 24 16:20:19 EDT 2010

Southport Survey # 224
The tide was high and falling, the water was calm and the sky cloudy.
There was NW breeze at start becoming quite windy by the end. Things
were so clear I could make out some details on the Empire State and
identify the different Norwalk Islands. Off shore there were small
groups of Long-tailed Ducks flying about and some Greater Scaup
flying east. The Red-breasted Mergansers were in groups of 15 to 20
doing their courtship thing. Flocks of Brant were also moving about
as the tide was falling. I did manage to spot 2 adult Northern
Gannets. Most of the Horned Grebe were in Spring plumage. The Great
Cormorants were Fly-bys

The golf course continues to be empty of birds. Southport Harbor had
only 2 swans and the Bufflehead. The Hooded Mergansers were gone. At
Southport Beach all the gulls were at the mouth of the creek
including 60 Bonaparte’s (no immatures). There was a general increase
in immature gulls. I haven’t seen an immature Great Black-backed Gull
in a couple of months. There were hardly and puddle ducks about.

At Burying Hill Beach there was a couple hundred Brant flying from
spot to spot looking for a comfortable spot to feed. Most of the
gulls and puddle ducks were in the rocks feeding.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

DATE	3/10	3/16	3/18	3/24
Tide	High	Low	Low	High
Time	6:30	7:30 (edt)	7:40 (edt)	7:55

Brant	85_138_283_226
Canada Goose	8_16_28_34
Mute Swan	5_7_6_2
Gadwall	2_2_2_2
American Wigeon	26_2_10_0
American Black Duck	105_9_51_11
Mallard	38_14_27_4
Green-winged Teal	16_0_0_0
Greater Scaup	10_5_16_48
Long-tailed Duck	110_99_212_132
Bufflehead	41_0_42_26
Common Goldeneye	9_0_0_3
Hooded Merganser	6_8_10_0
Red-breasted Merganser	25_30_66_43
Red-throated Loon	5_5_6_2
Common Loon	2_5_8_2
Horned Grebe	85_3_45_8
Northern Gannet	0_0_0_1
Great Cormorant	2_0_2_5
Killdeer	3_0_1_0
Bonaparte’s Gull	0_0_0_64
Ring-billed Gull Ad.	17_124_1263_107
Ring-billed Gull Im.	0_5_13_12
Herring Gull Ad.   	114_177_560_124
Herring Gull Im.    	0_14_5_9
Great Black-backed Gull Ad.	6_6_18_10
Great Black-backed Gull Im.	0_0_2_4

Burying Hill Beach

DATE	3/10	3/16	3/18	3/24
Tide	High	mid rising	Low	High
Time	9:50	9:30	9:45_10:20

Brant	5_190_10_250
Canada Goose	8_10_0_8
Mute Swan	2_0_2_0
Gadwall	0_4_0_0
American Wigeon	0_0_10_0
American Black Duck	14_43_33_14
Mallard	18_6_36_15
Green-winged Teal	16_0_0_0
Long-tailed Duck	130_88_220_30
Common Goldeneye	6_10_0_0
Red-breasted Merganser	12_32_39_14
Red-throated Loon	 3_0_12_0
Common Loon	4_9_17_2
Horned Grebe	76_6_13_2
Great Cormorant	0_2_1_0
Ring Billed Gull	37_180_80_60/15	Ad./Im.
Herring Gull	9_143_50_34_10	Ad./Im.
Great Black-backed Gull	6_2_2_2