[CT Birds] Morris cove

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Mar 25 16:09:12 EDT 2010

Interesting line-up of birds at Morris Cove in New Haven today  around 1
pm.  All numbers are probably a little low due to the constant  diving by all
species.

11 Red Breasted Mergansers
34 Scaup sp.
2 Common Loons
9 RED-THROATED LOONS
15 Horned Grebes

Of particular interest to me was that 7 of the 9 RTLO were  swimming and
fishing in a group, as were 14 of the 15 HOGE.  I am used to  seeing them
spread out over an area, rather than in a raft.  I'm not sure  if I have ever
seen 9 RTLO close together before.
Also, the single Grebe that was swimming apart (with a RBME)  was in full
breeding plumage or very close to it. Bright yellow on the  head.  I have
never seen that before.

Don Morgan
Coventry