[CT Birds] Milford Pt +

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 16:47:34 EDT 2010

I birded from New Haven Harbor (West Haven side) to the mouth of the
Housatonic River (Milford side), mainly in search of gulls. West Haven
had low gull numbers with no evidence of plankton feeding. In fact I
didn't see any plankton-feeding birds at all today. Oyster River was
fairly empty. ZERO Bonaparte's Gulls all day despite checking their
favorite low-mid tide hangouts. The only gull concentration I ran into
was around the mouth of the Housatonic...overwhelmingly Herring Gulls,
which were feeding around the sandbars.

Milford Pt, approx 1-3pm, highlights:
3 Northern Shoveler
50 GW Teal
Northern Gannet
2 Piping Plover
3 Am Oystercatchers
7 Gr Yellowlegs
1 Lr Yellowlegs
190 Dunlin
70 Sanderling
Lesser Black-backed Gull (adult)

>From Nick Bonomo:
3/27 - Milford, Milford Pt -- 3 NORTHERN SHOVELER, NORTHERN GANNET,
adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL
New Haven, I-91, exit 8 vicinity -- BLACK VULTURE, 2 COMMON RAVENS

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
http://shorebirder.blogspot.com/