[CT Birds] Spring signs - Red-winged blackbird at feeder, Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 28 09:23:59 EDT 2010

I was doing my last days of Feeder Watch on Friday and Saturday (25 and 26 March 2010) here and had one male red-winged blackbird on Friday and two male red-winged blackbirds on Saturday. To me seeing red-winged blackbirds is a true sign of Spring. Red-winged blackbirds breed in good numbers in a swamp area below the Region 12 Middle/High School, formed by Battle Swamp Brook. This area is on South St just south of the Region 12 school on the Washington/Roxburytown line (South St become Pickett Rd in Roxbury). There is a sometimes used soccer field here. This is good stop in Area K for the Christmas and Breeding bird counts.

David W Babington
Washington, CT