[CT Birds] gulls in the storm

twan leenders tleenders at ctaudubon.org
Mon Mar 29 09:10:45 EDT 2010

While driving through the Great Meadows marsh in Stratford this morning I noticed several large white "patches" in the upland sections of the marsh. When the rain let up for a second I could see that there were many hundred gulls sitting in dense congregations in the higher areas of the marsh, including a large number right next to one of  the runways of the Sikorsy airport. At Stratford Point the waves are already hammering the revetment wall even though we are still hours away from high tide. The gulls seem to be playing it safe and are roosting a little distance from the Sound. In spite of the weather several Ring-billed Gulls are still "plankton feeding" in the rough surf, dipping their bill into the water and seemingly feeding while flying. A full moon is imminent and such lunar events often trigger spawning events. It'll be interesting to see what will happen along the shore line in the next few days.

=======
Twan Leenders
Conservation Biologist
Connecticut Audubon Society