[CT Birds] Westport Bl-Hd Gull; Stratford Shovelers & gulls

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 29 20:23:27 EDT 2010

>From Frank Mantlik

3/29 Westport/Fairfield, Beachside Ave./Pequot Ave., Southport Beach (Sasco Creek mouth), 5pm - 1st-winter BLACK-HEADED GULL, with 590 Bonaparte's Gulls resting and preening on the tidal flats/shallows.  The Black-headed took off and flew Sound-ward five minutes after I found it, but I managed to get 3 digiscoped photos.

3/29 Stratford, 600 Long Beach Blvd., "Warehouse" Pond, 5:40pm - 3 NORTHERN SHOVELERS (pair plus a lone male).

3/29 Stratford, Short Beach Park - 3000 Ring-billed Gulls. Most foraging for earthworms on the golf course and lawns, but a fair number along the harbor's edge.  Included a bird with green wingtag # 185.

I'm glad to hear the Trumpeter Swans remained today.  Magnificent creatures, these largest (heaviest) birds of the U.S. & Canada.