[CT Birds] "countability" of Trumpeter Swans

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 29 20:32:02 EDT 2010

Hi Don,
In fact, the Swans are adults, as aged but the all-black bills.  Immatures would still be exhibiting some pinkish color on the middle part of the bill.  I suspect the dirty gray necks are a result of feeding in that pond or at other locations.
I intend to do some research on where these birds might have come from, but it's a good chance we'll never know for sure.
As Nick's ABA link stated, it's a rule of thumb that a breeding population has to be viable and sustained for at least 15 years. (By the way that's how the CT ARCC also determined when to add Monk Parakeets to the official state list).

Frank Mantlik