[CT Birds] "Did Tundra Swans Breed in The East?"

Chasbarnard at aol.com Chasbarnard at aol.com
Mon Mar 29 20:52:21 EDT 2010

The author of this article believes in the breeding range  dimensions put
forth in Bellrose's classic.That is a much more conservative view  of the
original nesting range than recent estimates, which have expanded the  range.
 However, it is worth noting that even the older  estimate included the
James Bay area.  Vagrants to New England must  have occurred during spring and
fall migrations, particularly if they were  pushed eastward by strong winds
out of the West - just  as we had a few  days ago when that strong cold
front came through. It is a situation  similar to that which brings us the
occasional Tundra Swan(s) and larger  flocks of Snow Geese. I would think that
there is a good chance  that a few migratory Trumpeter Swans are joining in
with migrating  flocks of Tundra Swans, most of which are now passing by to
our West  as they head North. .

Anyway, here is the link to the article and the maps.

_http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~insrisg/nature/swans.html_
(http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~insrisg/nature/swans.html)