[CT Birds] Trumpeter Swans-YES

Mark Szantyr birddog55 at charter.net
Mon Mar 29 23:05:36 EDT 2010

Thanks Nick for clearing the record as to what the ABA rules are.  While it
says "at least 15 years" , if my memory serves me, the ARCC used twenty
years to accept the Monk Parakeets to the state list.  Even the ABA thinks
that 15 may be too short.  In any event, the other criteria in the ABA rules
for establishing a bird as "listable" are also very important.  This may be
very difficult to do with Trumpeter Swans for so many reasons.  I have seen
a handful in Connecticut over the years and several of them have been traced
to private waterfowl collections.  Others have appeared very wild.  I think
establishing a bona fide "wild" Trumpeter Swan in Connecticut, with all the
various levels of"wildness" possible,  will be perhaps our hardest waterfowl
problem to date.  And Hey, we actually accepted Barnacle Geese!  This will
be much harder.

Mark S. Szantyr
80 Bicknell Road #9
Ashford, Connecticut 06278